Sunday, November 06, 2005

Is it ever okay not to forgive someone?

This is the question posed in the November edition of the His Way Newsletter, published by my great-uncle B.G. Brown. He has always thought (and taught) that unforgiveness is a sin, but seems to think 2nd Corinthians 2:7 may give an exception to this "rule."

In 1st Corinthians 5:1-5, the apostle Paul instructed the church at Corinth to turn over an adulterer to Satan for the destruction of his flesh.

Then, in his second letter to the Corinthians a year later, Paul told the church to welcome the same man back into fellowship because he had repented.

After pondering this, I humbly submit that Uncle B.G. has confused forgiveness with communion. I can cite examples in my own life where I have forgiven people in my heart, but left them to the consequences of their actions. And, to admit an unrepetant person to communion--even after he or she had been forgiven individually by the communicants--would be impossible. At, least that's my take on the Corinthian verses. It's a non-issue in my mind. But, then, what do I know?!

B.G. and His Way Teaching Ministry invite all thoughts and insights on this and other spiritual questions, and will add you to their newsletter mailing list if you send them an email request.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home