Tuesday, May 23, 2006

In life there are winners and losers

Why don't they teach that in high school anymore?

I mean, I heard today that nearby Winter Park High School has 21 valedictorians this year.

That's right: TWENTY-ONE.

Almost two dozen.

This, of course, is because the panty-waists in the school administration business these days are afraid to make values judgements--be they quantitative or qualitative.

I mean, I'm not that old, but I do remember a day when the person with the highest GPA was named valedictorian.

That's right. THE person. One. Uno.

And, yes, there was a reward for coming in second. It was called "the Salutatorian."

I wonder how many of those they have at Winter Park High this year!!

Anyway, titles like valedictorian and salutatorian and panty-waist don't really amount to a hill of beans in the long run.

Case in point: Have I ever told you how the valedictorian turned-out from Frenship High School's Class of 1989?! There's a story!

1 Comments:

Blogger wsmv said...

Okey dokey. I see that someone has been watching a lot of PBS telethons lately . . . .

I stand by the point I was trying to make, which is that there should only be one valedictorian per graduating class.

Thanks for stopping by the office for coffee this morning!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home