Thursday, August 17, 2006

Primary endorsements

If you're like me, you are currently being inundated with campaign literature in advance of the 9/5 Florida primaries.

And, if you're like me, you're probably more than a little bit confused by the sample ballot that arrived in the mail this week.

I mean, I recognize most of the names at the top of the ballot, but who are all these judicial candidates? And, why isn't there some place on the web that you can learn about these people? Or, am I just missing something?!

Anyway, I do know how I'm voting for the federal and state races, and will give my endorsements here:

US SENATE
Leroy Collins, Jr. He's the son of a former governor, and the descendant of another (Richard Keith Call, for those interested in Florida history). He's got the deepest roots in the sunshine state when you compare him to the other candidates, and that's important to me. Plus, Katherine Harris' campaign has been imploding. I doubt either Collins or Harris will be able to unseat Bill Nelson in the general, but at least Florida Republicans can nominate a decorated war veteran with experience in the utilities and real estate fields.

US CONGRESS (District 8)
Ric Keller. I'm gritting my teeth on this one. Rival Elizabeth Doran scores points with me when she criticizes the congressman for his less than stellar family values. But, realistically, she has no chance to beat him, and I hope local Republicans will rally to give him a decisive win going into the general. We can't afford to allow this seat to fall into Democratic hands.

GOVERNOR
Tom Gallagher. Again, I'm gritting my teeth. It still looks like Charlie Crist is going to walk away with the nomination. But, he's had some serious stumbles lately. I do not like the ignorance of the FCAT that he displayed last week, especially given the fact that he is a former state education commissioner. I also don't like his stances on social issues. Of the remaining 3 candidates, only Gallagher stands a chance of defeating the Democratic candidate in November. But, he's only the lesser of two evils. Why can't this state produce some decent candidates?!?

STATE CFO
Randy Johnson. I know Gov. Bush has thrown his support behind Tom Lee. But, I don't care. Johnson is a local guy. He lives down in Celebration, and he's been promoting local sporting events for quite some time.

More endorsements to follow after I figure out who the rest of the candidates are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home