Sunday, September 03, 2006

Get ready to write some letters

I just got done emailing my two U.S. senators and one U.S. congressman.

It's not something I do on a daily basis.

Really, I promise.

But, I had to do it today, because I'm so ticked-off by an email received today from the Federation of Genealogical Societies (currently meeting in Boston, and yes I wish I was there, too!)

Anyway, they are informing members of a proposal put forth by the National Archives in light of some federal budget cuts.

Their "brilliant" idea is to do away with evening and weekend hours in their research facilities.

Well, this is absolutely unacceptable to all of the amateur genealogists and historians beyond the beltway.

I mean, the only time "We the People" have to do archival research is in the evenings or on weekends.

After all, most of us have real jobs. And, don't talk to us about budget cuts, either. We deal with budgetary restrictions every day.

Anyway, it seems to me there are some alternative solutions that wouldn't restrict our collective national heritage to academia eggheads.

For example, why not close the doors on a weekday to keep them open on Saturday? Or, how about opening a few hours later in the morning so you can stay open a few hours later in the evening? Or, how about doing BOTH?!

Come on, folks! It's not that hard to come up with something fair!! And, I'm not even drawing a federal salary!!!

Anyway, if any of you out there in the blogosphere are as irritated by this as I was, please take the time to write or email your senators and congressmen. Their contact info is available at http://senate.gov and http://house.gov .

You can also write the yahoos at the Archives administration and tell them what you think:

Regulations Comments Desk (NPOL)
Room 4100, Policy & Planning Staff
National Archives & Records Administration
8601 Adelphia Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001

I just did.

1 Comments:

Blogger wsmv said...

You will note in a subsequent posting that the NARA agreed to bend on their hours:

http://sockdryer.blogspot.com/2006/10/national-archives-bends-on-hours.html

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home