Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Saxons, Vikings, and Celts

That's the title of Professor Bryan Sykes' latest book. [ISBN 0393062686]

I got it as a stocking stuffer for myself, but couldn't wait til Christmas to start reading it.

It's a follow-up to "The Seven Daughters of Eve." [ISBN 0393323145] That book explored mitochondrial DNA, the genetic material we inherit exclusively from our mothers.

Obviously, the topic is fascinating to people like me who study family trees.

Well, this new book explores the other side of the coin, so to speak. It's all about the genetic material passed from fathers to sons, the Y-chromosome.

Sykes has collected thousands upon thousands of DNA samples from around the world, but this book focuses specifically on the genetic makeup of the British Isles.

Really fascinating stuff. At least I think so. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've been using connections made thru my own Y-DNA markers to advance research on my Morgan line.

To find out more about Sykes and his research, check out his website:

http://www.oxfordancestors.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home