Saturday, May 02, 2009

Derby Day!

While all eyes seem to be on Churchill Downs for today's Kentucky Derby, few (in this neck o' the woods, at least) are paying attention to the undercard races leading up to the big event.

Not so yours truly.

My interest was in the Humana Distaff, a Grade 1 stakes race that preceded the vaunted derby. I was hoping to watch my uncle's horse Dubai Majesty win it more than I cared about the outcome of the premiere event.

Indeed, his feisty filly charged to an early lead and seemed to be pulling away from the field until almost the last minute. But, just as she had done in the recent Vinery Madison Stakes at Keeneland last month, she faded at the end--allowing Informed Decision and Temple Street to zip past her and claim the top 2 spots.

Still, 3rd place ain't bad, I suppose . . .

Anyway, I stayed tuned to watch the rest of the racing. Won't fill the dryer with unnecessary laundry, as there's plenty of blog coverage of the big upset in the derby. All in all, though, it was a pretty satisfying day of horse racing.

But, I'm not sure if we'll have a Triple Crown winner this year . . .

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home