Saturday, July 18, 2009

An unexpected detour

Well, ye socks, today's busy agenda was thrown out the window not long after making the trek up to check on ye old Lake Hammer chalet.

The details of said derailment aren't really important. I only mention it because I am ever more frequently surprising myself lately how much I let things like that roll off my back.

I guess it's true what they say about mellowing with age . . .

Anyway, yours truly unexpectedly found himself with a couple of hours to kill, and ended up strolling the aisles of a flea market along 441.

I could not have asked for better timing. Just as I ducked inside the air-conditioned portion of the market, we got one of our usual summertime "sunshowers." That not only drove away a lot of fellow junkers, it also cut the July temperatures enough to encourage me to explore the un-air-conditioned section.

It had been a long time since my shadow had darkened a flea market, and I had forgotten the entire subculture that goes along with such places. Bargains seem to be in abundance, though you do have to keep an eye on the fine print (both literally and figuratively). And, even if you haven't a single dollar to spend, it's still a worthwhile place to visit if people-watching holds any fascination for you. You definitely see all kinds.

Anyway, I made it out of there pretty cheap. Got some fresh produce and an old book for my troubles. (Philip Vickers Fithian's journal of life as a schoolmaster in colonial Virginia, in case you were wondering.)

Veering off course can be an okay thing. At least it was today. Hope ye socks are enjoying detours of your own this fine Saturday!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home