Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Bumby bumblings

Today, I traded emails with a Bumby descendant in Missouri named Christine Bumby Allen. The recent death of her grandfather down in Wauchula had sparked her interest in the family history. I tried to send her what information I could find from local resources in my personal library, but think I only muddied the waters for her!

The Bumby that everyone in Orlando knows about was Joe Bumby (1843-1911), who operated a famous hardware store downtown at Church Street Station. But, Christine descends from a Jesse Bumby (1823-1915), who is buried near Joe in the city's old Greenwood Cemetery. Unfortunately, I could not tell her how the two were related.

This is one of those sock in the dryer situations that may come back on my radar screen later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home