Saturday, May 26, 2007

A shout out to Darrell

One of my old fraternity brothers (and, now an occasional sock in the dryer devotee) called me yesterday afternoon to catch-up.

And, I promised to send him a "shout out" on the blog.

So, here it is.

He did offer me some criticism, though.

Too much genealogy-related posts, he thinks.

Guess he hasn't been bitten by the bug, yet.

So, as if I have to justify my addiction, I want Darrell and the rest of you socks to know of my most recent genealogical discoveries.

It turns out that my great-great grandfather and namesake W.S. Morgan the First was a maternal cousin of the fellow pictured in today's post.

Now, Darrell, if you studied your "Son of the Stars" pledge manual diligently back in the late 80s, you should be able to tell who this fellow is.

But, in case your memory fails, I'll have you know it's John Holt Duncan, "of ever honored memory." He was one of the 8 founders of our fraternity, Beta Theta Pi. In fact, he served as the first president of Alpha Chapter before moving to Texas--yes, Darrell, Texas. And, to make him an even greater person to claim as a cousin, he also served as a captain in the Confederate Army during the War Between the States. Even lost a leg to "the cause."

So, the next time you want to criticize my genealogical addiction, remember this post.

- kai -

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home