Sunday, September 09, 2007

Let's revive the Lincoln-Douglas debates!

I just learned of a great idea being tossed around by Mike Huckabee and Fred Thompson.

Actually, credit is due to Newt Gingrich for putting the idea forward in the first place.

But, Huckabee and Thompson are the first two presidential candidates to seriously entertain the notion of a good old-fashioned debate.

Enough with the crowded stages and media-friendly soundbites.

Let's have two candidates actually engage each other on the issues facing our country.

Let's have a serious DISCUSSION for once.

If you agree with me and would like to see a series of Lincoln-Douglas style debates between these two great public speakers, I encourage you to co-sign the letter found at this link:

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=344&CommentPage=1#Comments

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Apopkan said...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Monday, September 10, 2007

Media Contacts:
Kirsten Fedewa
Tel: 202-365-6936

Alice Stewart
Tel: 501-324-2008 Office
501-658-1654 BB

NEWS RELEASE:
America Agrees: Fred Needs to Debate Mike

LITTLE ROCK, AR – Over the last 72 hours, nearly 1,500 Americans have joined former Governor and Presidential Candidate Mike Huckabee in his call to former U.S. Senator Fred Thompson to participate in a series of Lincoln Douglas-styled debates.

“On Friday, I sent a letter to Senator Thompson outlining our shared desire to participate in a series of Lincoln Douglas-styled debates. Senator Thompson had initially suggested in a Fox News interview that this would be a better format for debate. In that letter, I officially accepted his offer and suggested that we start this series of debates in New Hampshire,” said Huckabee.

Huckabee’s presidential campaign posted his invitation to Thompson on his web-site (www.mikehuckabee.com) with an opportunity for average citizens to co-sign his letter. Since Friday, nearly 1,500 people have co-signed the letter so far; traffic to the Governor’s website is at a record-high; and nearly three dozen new “bloggers for Huckabee” have joined his team.

Huckabee said he has received no official response from Sen. Thompson to date, but welcomes his reply.

“Yesterday while on CNN, Wolf Blitzer offered for CNN to broadcast the debate. The only thing we’re waiting on is for Senator Thompson to show up and debate. Senator Thompson can pick the date, he can pick time, and he can pick the place,” said Huckabee.

“I urge him to accept the invitation of the American people and show that he’s capable of leading by example – and isn’t afraid of expressing his views and his vision for America in a comprehensive one-on-one Lincoln Douglas-styled debate,” he said.

Last month, Huckabee signed former House Speaker Newt Gingrich’s pledge to participate in a series of lengthy debates with the American people – a concept that was embraced by Thompson on his interview with Jay Leno last week. “I think this is a great idea, and one that the American people would benefit from,” said Huckabee. “I’m glad that Senator Thompson agrees.”

The text of Gov. Huckabee’s letter, along with the names and comments of nearly 1,500 co-signers, can be found on his website (www.mikehuckabee.com) by clicking here.

“I’m pleased that citizens from all across America have enthusiastically endorsed this idea with their signature and have called on Senator Thompson to debate me at the location of his choice – preferably in a key state such as New Hampshire,” said Huckabee.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Apopkan said...

Well, surprise, surprise. Thompson finked out on the proposed debates.

According to him, it would be a "disservice to the voters" if he took the stage against Mike Huckabee.

Whatever.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home