Monday, October 01, 2007

Emigrant Savings Bank

I come from a family of savers. And, I don't mean that we're a bunch of pack rats . . . although, a case could be made . . .

Anyway, I digress. By "savers," I meant that we have a history of setting aside money for a rainy day.

And, now, thanks to the generosity of a fellow named Mike Stapleton, I have documented proof.

He found an old ledger from the Emigrant Savings Bank that shows my ancestor James Gleeson (a native of County Tipperary in Ireland) opened an account way back on 13 May 1869!

The great thing about the record, at least from a genealogical standpoint, is that old James gave a bunch of important information to the bank when he opened the account, including: his date of birth as 1835, his address at 968 Myrtle Avenue, his arrival in the U.S. as 1867, the name of the ship that brought him as "England," and his wife's maiden name (Catherine Cullen).

Thanks, Mike!


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home