Friday, March 07, 2008

McCain is NOT Irish!

Let me just disabuse folks of that notion.

I got several emails today from the McCain camp, the RNC, "Irish for McCain," and others trying to appeal to my ethnic pride in an effort to win my support for his presidential campaign in the time left between now and St. Patrick's Day.

This sort of thing really bothers me, because I don't think a candidate's ethnicity should play any role in determining their worthiness to hold elective office of any kind. (That goes for you, too, Barack Hussein Obama!)

But, what bothers me more in this instance is the assumption that McCain must be ethnically Irish because he has an "Mc" in front of his surname.

NEWSFLASH: McCAIN IS NOT IRISH!

If you don't believe me, check out William Addams Reitweisner's very detailed research on McCain's roots at:

http://www.wargs.com/political/mccain.html

The facts speak for themselves. McCAIN IS SCOTTISH! His emigrant ancestor was a Joseph McCain, who was born in SCOTLAND (NOT IRELAND) way back in 1773.

Kinda makes you feel stupid for printing up all those green t-shirts with the senator's mug on them, doesn't it? And, I'm not even going to mention the little buttons with shamrocks and kitschy little slogans in Gaelic script, or the green elephant beanie baby you dubbed with the politically incorrect name "Paddy."

BLARNEY!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand McCain is not Irish and I never put on the Irish for McCain buttons or t-shirts anything that said he was. Irish for McCain is a coalition, much like African-Americans for Hillary or Irish for O'Bama. I don't think they are implying that Hillary is African-American nor is O'Bama Irish - even though he has an O' at the beginning of his name. Irish for McCain happened to be one of the first coalitions we put up on the McCainShop.com web site because 1. I'm Irish 2. St. Patrick's Day was just around the corner. We will be adding many more coalitions that John McCain is not. As far as Paddy the RNC elephant - I had nothing to do with that one, so I will leave it to them to defend. I hope that clears up what our intent was when we made the merchandise. It is elling very well, though.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually if you look back on his family tree a few more generations he has roots in both Dublin and Ulster. http://www.wargs.com/political/mccain.html...What's the difference anyway? My father is Irish and my mother is Scottish. They are basically the same (Celtic/Norse) people despite the protestant/catholic divide and 500 years of bitterness (Ha ha). If Irish Americans feel a "Celtic Kinship" for McCain, big deal? The Scots-Irish claimed Reagan even though his father was Irish Catholic and his mother was only of partial Scots-Irish ancestry.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home