Friday, August 08, 2008

Opening Olympic Observations

I know, that's a lot of "O" words, but I imagine there were a lot of folks around the world saying "O!" tonight as they watched the opening ceremonies in Beijing's "bird nest" tonight.

The Chinese are really going the extra mile to put their best foot forward and impress the "community of nations."

I found it all more than a little intimidating.

Spectacular to be sure, but intimidating nonetheless.

Maybe, that's just part and parcel of a nation of 1.3 billion.

They call it "harmony." I call it "mindless collectivism."

The mass scale of it all reinforced that notion.

Now, I will admit there were some shining individual moments that weren't as intimidating as the thousands of drummers, acrobats, dancers, etc.

I mean, who could fail to be inspired by the little earthquake survivor who marched into the stadium beside Yao Ming? (Even if his little Chinese flag was upside down on its little flag pole.)

It was also kinda cool how the final torch bearer was raised to the perimeter of the bird's nest a la Broadway Peter Pan to light a cauldron that appeared out of nowhere at the last minute.

And, who can do fireworks better than the Chinese? I mean, they invented that, didn't they?

But, I was somewhat dismayed by one of the NBC commentators who is already suggesting the opening of the London games in 2012 is going to be a let-down compared to tonight's festivities.

Oh, well. I guess low expectations are easy to beat. And, I for one will be much more interested in the individualism the Brits are certain to display.

Until then: higher, faster, stronger . . . I think those are the official words, right?!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home