Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A couple of cool web sites

I thought I'd pass along two new web sites I discovered recently:

http://www.cuil.com
This is a new search engine, still in its infancy. So, they haven't really worked out all the kinks, yet. But, it's a nice change from the standard google and yahoo searches. I will warn you that search results display images alongside the page descriptions that do not necessarily pertain to the page itself. For instance, I did a search for my ancestor "James Lorenzo Morgan" and did get a hit for a page at some university archive, but for some reason I cannot explain there was a picture of some Green Bay Packer receiver making a touchdown next to it . . . As I said, still a work in progress.

http://www.slydial.com
This is so sneaky, you'll ALMOST feel guilty for using it. Have you ever had to call someone and actually WANTED their voice mail rather than talking to them in person?! Follow the instructions on this site, and you can do just that. It comes in handy for those times when you just want to leave someone a message but don't have time for a full-blown conversation and don't want to be rude about it. Two caveats: (1) This only works on U.S. numbers, and (2) only on MOBILE phones. So, don't try slydialing your cousin in Katmandu.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home