Sunday, July 20, 2008

John Adams

Like most Americans, I'm afraid yours truly has never fully appreciated our second president: John Adams.

For me, anyway, he always seemed to pale in comparison to his contemporaries: Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, et al.

He enjoyed some increased popularity several years ago, when David McCullough published a masterful biography.

I admit to buying the tome, but confess I only read the section on the Alien and Sedition Act.

Fortunately, somebody over at HBO must've read the entire thing and realized it would make a good cable mini-series.

But, I missed the original run since I am too cheap to pay Bright House Networks for anything more than their basic cable package (and that only for clear reception that can no longer be found over the public airwaves).

Now, however, the entire series is available on DVD at your local Blockbuster. It being so beastly hot outside, I could think of no better way to spend this Sunday afternoon.

Both Paul Giamatti (John Adams) and Laura Linney (Abigail Adams) deliver amazing performances.

The only drawback was that I can only check-out 2 DVD's at a time, and this is a 3-disc series! So, I feel like I've been left hanging about 2/3 of the way thru the story!!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home