Friday, July 25, 2008

Smashing day, just smashing!

This was the scene along I-75 today, just north of Ashburn, Georgia. Somebody cut-off a truck full of watermelons, causing it to flip and lose its cargo.

It was our only hiccup on the big roadtrip today, and really was not much of one. Surprisingly, it only delayed us about 5 minutes, and it looked like everybody walked away from the accident itself.

Anyway, we were excited to get to the Ripken League regional play-offs up in Alpharetta to see my cousin Bowden Francis and his team represent Florida. Last night, they defeated the hosting Georgia champs, 2-0. Bowden was the starting pitcher, and also scored one of the games only 2 runs. So, he was pretty much the star of the show, in my humble opinion.

We arrived at Ocee Park just in the nick of time to watch the opening pitch against the Virginia champs this afternoon. Unfortunately, Bowden was being held in reserve and only played first base for one inning. But, the team pulled off an astounding 7-0 rout against the boys from Tri-River.

Needless to say, we're all excited in this little corner of . . . well, Georgia. Tomorrow night the Winthrop Thrashers will again represent Florida in the tourny, taking on the Alabama champs . . . and, that will be no easy task from what I hear.

Stay tuned for more notes from the road!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was riding behind this truck on I-75 just North of Ashburn at 11:00 AM Friday morning. The green Chevrolet was not cut off by anyone. The trailer hauling the watermelons had a blow out. The driver lost control and went head on into the concrete barrier rail. I witnessed the accident and pulled over. I was told that one of the passengers was unresponsive and did not survive.

5:40 PM  
Blogger wsmv said...

Hmmmm . . . I was pretty sure the truck got cut-off. I saw two little silver sports cars zipping in and out of traffic . . . nearly ran us off the road, that's for sure. It wasn't long after that we came across the scene of the accident, before any rescue vehicles, etc. Everyone looked okay at the time, except for one woman who was sitting by the concrete barrier. I assumed she was going to be okay, because she was sitting up. I hate to hear someone actually lost their life in that mess. What a tragedy!!

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home