Friday, November 07, 2008

Schadenfreude

This image of stunned Michigan fans suddenly realizing they aren't making it to a bowl game this year will serve as a helpful illustration as I try to explain my new favorite word: Schadenfreude.

Like so many concepts of German origin (i.e. Marxism) it's kinda hard to explain.

There is no good English translation for the word.

But, a picture says a thousand words, no?

Basically, from what I understand, its the feeling of satisfaction (or outright pleasure) one derives from someone else's pain.

You know the feeling I'm talking about, when you find out someone who thinks they're getting away with something ends up getting their just due?

Well, if you still don't know what I'm talking about, I'll quote the old Gator mantra: "Wait til next year!"

Because, in 2009, I expect a lot of folks are going to be experiencing mass Schadenfreude at the expense of the fools who elected the junior senator from Illinois to the highest office in the land.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home