Sunday, July 02, 2006

Update on the new book, galley-proofing

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I've been spending time this holiday weekend doing some galley-proofing on my soon-to-be published book. Well, I just got done, and found quite a few more errors than I had expected:

Page 15. My fault. I took some literary license in describing someone's "pale blue eyes." That was written before my cousin Wayne Goodall sent me incontrovertible photographic evidence that the person actually had "soulful brown eyes."

Page 33. Redundant phrasing. ". . . the life-sustaining timber that fueled their lives." Should be either simply "the life-sustaining timber" or "the timber that fueled their lives." Pick one.

Page 53. The word "led" should be "lead," as in the metal.

Page 55. The word "with" was used instead of "within."

Page 60. The words "farm boy" should be replaced with "farm hand" to avoid reptition.

Page 63. The word "heals" should be "heels." We're talking feet here, not doctors!!

Pages 69-70. The captions are not at all what I sent them. I'm going to have to call Ashley about that. Also, I want one picture per page, not four. And, I thought the last one was going to be on the back cover. These pages are the biggest problem. I hope they won't cause too much of a delay.

Page 73. The word should be "Confederates," plural not singular.

Page 80. The apostrophe should come AFTER an "s" when the word is plural, like "slaves." There were more than one.

Page 101. The word should be "the" not "they!"

Page 104. Substitute the word "associates" instead of "contacts" to avoid repetition.

Page 117. The word should be "heard" not "hear." It's past-tense. This is the Civil War era we're talking about, after all!

Page 120. The correct words are "with" and "child," not "wit" and "childe."

Pages 125 & 126. Why is there such a gap in the middle of a paragraph?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home