Sunday, August 06, 2006

An Arlington Remembrance

In all of the hub-bub surrounding my new book, which deals with my father's side of the family, I cannot let today pass without remembering my mother's father.

He died 39 years ago today, up at Walter Reed Military Hospital in Washington, DC, and is buried nearby at Arlington National Cemetery.

His marker is near the McClellan Arch, pictured here.

I visited the site quite a few times while living up in the DC area. A little warm this time of year, but really stunning in Spring. If you get a chance to visit, try to get off the beaten path a bit, even if you don't find my grandfather's tombstone. Try to stray away from sites liike the tombs of the unknowns, the Kennedy graves, etc., and get a real, personal feeling for the place. It's pretty awe-inspiring.

RIP, Grandpa G!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home