Saturday, November 18, 2006

Homecoming for our little patient

Many thanks go out to Dr. Lindman and her staff at the Sheeler Road Animal Hospital in Apopka, for Fidelma's successful surgery yesterday.

The doctor called me last night to report that kitty had wolfed-down an entire bowl of cat food and was drinking water, way earlier than expected. So, she said I could pick her up and bring her home this morning.

Her technical diagnosis was "Pyometra," which is a uterine infection fairly common among older cats . . . especially those who have never produced a litter of kittens. The only viable cure is to spay the animal, because there is a high risk of the uterus rupturing . . . thus allowing all the infectious gunk inside to spread throughout the cat's body.

Gross, huh?

Fortunately, Fidelma is quite a trooper.

I cancelled a trip down to see my dad in Pembroke Pines so I could stay home and keep an eye on her. I set her up with a food bowl, water, litter box, etc., up in the master bath so she wouldn't have to run up and down the stairs . . . or should I say limp. But, she was having none of that!

As soon as I opened her carrier, the little bugger sprang out and ran right up the stairs to her favorite spot at the foot of my bed!

Anyway, I am really pleased at how quickly she has rebounded from this experience, and continue to keep an eye on her.

But, I am hopefully optimistic that she will be well enough by Turkey Day, so I can keep my plans to run up to the beach for a few days. By the looks of things, I should get my wish.

And, that's another thing to be thankful for today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home