Thursday, March 15, 2007

Letting go

We have spent Dad's final hours giving him as joyous a good-bye as we can muster.

It started about 3:30 this morning, when we thought the end was near. My mom, sister, and I gathered around his bed as we played one of his favorite Randy Travis CD's. Great old songs like "I'll Fly Away" and "The Old Rugged Cross." We sang when we could remember the words, and hummed along when we didn't.

But, Dad was an old Cold Warrior, and he battled back. In fact, we've been thru a lot of peaks and valleys today and the last week and a half. Actually, the last five years.

Anyway, we had a few kind visitors stop by including his parents, and his Uncle Richard (who sang him "He Walks With Me" and "Amazing Grace."

Thanks to LeeAnn and Kelly for re-stocking the refrigerator and pantry.

Thanks to Bill. Thanks to Ellen. Thanks to Dwight. Thanks to Deloise. Thanks to Sally. Thanks to Margarita, and everyone at Vitas. And, thanks to everyone whose names are not coming to me now, but whose visits, phone calls, and emails have meant so much to us.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Billy, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. I am glad you had the opportunity to have him home and pass peacefully. Hospice is a great service and I know that they provided great comfort for your dad, your mom, you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Elizabeth Meyer

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

William, I am so sorry to hear about your father. I hope you and your family are doing okay. I hope you mom Is getting along better today also. Please let me know if there is anything you need at all.

Thad

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home