Sunday, January 11, 2009

I call it "star fruit."

I learn something new every day, and that's not just a worn out old line.

Today's lesson was in botany.

Preparing to depart St. Petersburg for the roadtrip back to my own little corner of heaven, I spotted this fruit-laden tree.

A "carambola," I was informed.

Anyway, those funky clusters of fruit dangling from the tree branches are an all-too-often overlooked tropical delight.

Most folks only look for the more pedestiran citrus varieties around here . . . oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons, limes, and the like.

But, the next time you spot some carambola (star fruit), give it a whirl. They're easy to harvest. I had a bag full in just a couple of minutes!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home