Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Parsing words

Ask anyone who knows me well, and they'll tell you I'm a stickler for words.

Words mean something. They're not just designed to be pleasant to the ear or to make you feel better about yourself or a bad situation.

I bring this up today, because I just got done watching our illustrious former governor cop-out on running for the US Senate.

And, in his explanation he went out of his way to mention The Disaster in Waiting. He stated, "I am proud to call him MY president."

What that had to do with his decision not to run for public office is beyond me.

But, what really stuck in my craw was the use of the word "MY" in his statement.

I've heard it used a lot since the disaster that was Election Day '08. In fact, I cannot tell you how many times I've heard some gratuitous celebridiot fawning over "my president" this or "our president" that. Of course, the implication is they are disowning the current and potentially all previous presidents because they have found their new Messiah.

People, you cannot possess the president. He is not yours. He is not mine. He is not hers. He is not his. He is not theirs. He is not ours.

The president is simply THE president.

Use the correct article when speaking about him. He will never be MY president, and he shouldn't be YOURS either!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home