Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Read the book first!

So, the latest DVD delivered to this little corner of heaven by the friendly folks at Netflix was the adaptation of Audrey Niffenegger's recent best-selling novel "The Time Traveler's Wife."

I read the book about a year ago or so, and enjoyed it. Not only did it have an interesting premise, but it made a pretty powerful statement about the eternal nature of certain interpersonal relations.

Too heavy for ye socks?

Well, the movie version isn't heavy at all.

In fact, I would guess that anyone who hadn't read the book in advance would think the film adaptation is more than a bit contrived.

Bottom line: if you're gonna watch the movie, read the book first.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger M--- said...

That totally reminds me that I never did finish my review of the book... I agree more often than not that the books are always better than their cinematic adaptations, but especially so in this case. I liked the movie, but the book was definitely better. These days I'm waiting to see "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" movie...but I'm sure it won't have the same effect as the book.

9:25 PM  
Blogger wsmv said...

I saw the Dragon Tattoo pop-up in my Netflix queue, but didn't realize there was a book . . . think I'm gonna push the DVD down the list so I can read the story first . . .

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home