Saturday, June 17, 2006

Addicted to corn?

I admit it. Stephen Colbert cracks me up.

By the way, his last named is pronounced "coal-bear." And, he reminds viewers of that in each of his daily reports . . . which he pronounces "re-pores."

But, I'll excuse his Frenchifying of the English language, because he peppers his re-pores with insightful guests from time to time.

Today's guest, Michael Pollan, is a good example. He has written a new book, called The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

One of the most intriguing points Pollan made, despite Coal-bear's best efforts to throw him with his schtick, was a comparison between modern America's dependancy on corn and Ireland's pre-famine dependancy on the potato.

Now, there's a scary thought!

I've got to get a copy of this book to add to my summer reading list . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home