Saturday, July 08, 2006

New Norton family information

It's not often that I get to add some new names to my mom's side of the family tree. So, you'll have to excuse my excitement at today's genealogical discovery.

Allow me to introduce (or re-introduce?) my 4th great grandparents William and Margaret (Feeney) Norton.

They came to this country from the tiny village of Ballyforan in County Roscommon, Ireland. Arriving in New York City in June 1865, they quickly got out of there to settle in West Stockbridge, Massachusetts. I found them in the 1880 Census there (page 48c), and found William was still working as a miner at the age of 67. Guess Social Security wasn't around back then . . . wonder what he was mining . . . coal, perhaps? Obviously, I need to do some more follow-up research.

Anyway, William and Margaret's son Patrick Norton (1840-1908) accompanied them to America. But, instead of working in a mine shaft, he took a job with one of the steamship lines in the Port of New York. According to descendant Joan Ann Lounibos, he spent an entire year on a round-trip voyage to San Francisco. (Remember, the Panama Canal didn't exist back then, so ships had to go all the way around South America to get to the west coast.) By the time he got back, he'd had enough of life at sea and became a landlubber.

So, Patrick settled in Jersey City, New Jersey. Apparently, he must have sent some glowing reports back to his brother John in Ireland. (my direct ancestor) Because, when he decided to bring his own family to America, he chose to settle in Jersey City, too, instead of up in Massachusetts.

And, I'm glad he did, too. Otherwise, how would my Nortons and Irvings have gotten together?!?

I'll let y'all know if I turn-up any more information on these new additions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home