Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Dead Fred

Have you ever been to a rummage sale, flea market, or other such event and found those sad piles of discarded old photographs?

I guess, I just think it's sad because I'm such a passionate genealogist and cannot fathom the thought of being so careless with heritage.

Anyway, I can't afford to buy all those stray photos I encounter personally. But, sometimes, I'll write down the names and dates and post queries on the internet to try and track down a surviving family member who might treat these treasurers with the respect they are due.

And, I've had some successes with this method of reuniting people with their ancestors.

But, now, there is a website devoted to this awesome endeavor:

http://www.deadfred.com

Check it out. You can search by surname or location, and you might even uncover some of your own long-lost relatives!

I quickly located the above photo of my own kinsman Abraham Blakesley (1842-1923) who served in an Iowa regiment (the horror of it!) during the War Between the States. Check out the uniform on Abe, huh?!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home