Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Renovations and Sole Searching

As renovations of the Elizabeth Avenue house officially commence today, I have been told by others who have been down this road to look out for certain things.

Probably the wierdest thing I'm supposed to keep my eyes peeled for is stray shoes.

Apparently, it was a tradition up until at least the 1930s to conceal an old shoe whenever you were building or renovating. Supposed to bring you luck, I guess.

Case in point, the folks who are renovating the old Hancock-Clarke House up in Lexington, Massachusetts, found a veritable cache of old footwear and other odds and ends secreted between the walls of a 1768 addition. (Ye socks may remember "this old house" as Paul Revere's destination during his famous 1775 ride to warn John Hancock about the British a-comin'.)

Anyway, stay tuned. I'll let you know if I encounter any lost soles . . .

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home