Friday, April 14, 2006

New experiences in the Oldest City

Most folks know I'm a creature of habit. And, when I visit the historic district up in St. Augustine, I'm all about the Columbia restaurant. But, today, I decided I would make things all about new experiences.

Fortunately, I was able to bribe a local guide, and found myself at a great little place for lunch, called La Pentola.

It's at 58 Charlotte Street, and is operated by a husband-and-wife team. Didn't see the husband, but the wife was really doing a great job.

We started off with the sauteed shrimp and polenta. Then I had the chicken sorrentino, which came with a great salad. Very fresh. And, since they didn't even offer Ranch dressing (shocking, isn't it, dear Texans?!) I thought I'd push the "try new things" theme to the extreme and got some sort of raspberry such and such. Definitely different, and in a good way!

Dessert was technically a traditional Spanish flan with an orange Grand Marnier glaze.

I say "technically," for reasons to be explained later. But, before I do, just let me say I give La Pentola a solid 4 stars. Of course, the good company at my table was 5 stars!

So, after gorging ourselves on this continental cuisine, my guide thought it would only be appropriate to take us around the corner to another "off the beaten path" favorite: "Claude's Chocolates," at 15 Hypolita Street.

All I can say about Claude's is WOW!

They must've been at the top of their game today, with Easter right around the corner. Then again, who can go wrong with homemade Belgian chocolate, right?! Out of this world.

If you get a chance, try their Earl Grey. Yes, Earl Grey, just like the English tea. It'll knock your socks off!

Ok, enough. Fat, dumb, and happy here. This trying new stuff can wear you out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home