Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo

On the advice of Sabrina Martinez and other verdaderos Mexicanos, I decided to skip the dinner at Garibaldi's tonight.

After all, I don't want to look like a real gringo. All those years in Texas ought to account for something, right?

But, I'm still craving TexMex . . . and, these Patio burritos I picked up in the frozen food aisle at my local Winn Dixie just ain't cuttin' it!

Anyway, for those of you history illiterates out there, Cinco de Mayo celebrates the Mexican victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.

It seems Emperor Napoleon was determined to install a puppet government down there while we Norteamericanos were distracted with our Civil War.

See, those Frenchie frog-eaters have been up to no good for a LONG time!

But, according to Sabrina and my other sources, this great victory is only celebrated by Mexicans who live in and around Puebla . . . and about 300,000,000 gringos.

Back to the burritos . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home