Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Mist

Ok, this is one of the few times ye socks will hear yours truly admit that a film adaptation is better than the book.

But, that statement certainly applies to director Frank Darabont's version of the old Stephen King novella "The Mist."

Some folks panned the film, because it strayed on a few key elements of King's original work. For instance, the extramarital affair between the hero and another primary character was thrown out the window. And, there was a darker ending. I won't spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it, yet. Suffice it to say, it does NOT end like the book, with the survivors hearing the single word "Hartford" on the radio and driving off in the direction of that Connecticut city.

But, the new ending sent chills down my spine. And, I like it better than the ambiguous ending that appeared in print so many years ago. Heck, even King himself gave Darabont kudos for this change.

So, what attracted me to this film in the first place, ye might ask. Film noir and Stephen King are not generally my cup of tea, so to speak.

Well, I'll tell you: The film was produced in and around Shreveport, Louisiana, where I spent several of my formative years. And, the primary location was set in an old grocery store in the little town of Vivian--a place that brings back a lot of good memories thanks to my mom's old friend Peggy Browning.

But, if trips down my memory lane and the new darker ending aren't enough, how 'bout the ultimate message of this film?

That is, sometimes the monsters on the outside are less frightening than the ones inside you and your friends/neighbors.

At least, that's what I got out of this film . . . and, the book for that matter.

Go rent the DVD, if you think you can handle it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home