Thursday, January 14, 2010

Of Corinth and Corinthians

The Thursday Morning Bunch embarked on a journey to Ancient Greece this week.

I suppose it would be more accurate to say that we're starting to read St. Paul's first epistle to the Corinthians, but that doesn't sound nearly as exotic . . .

I try to make it a point to learn something new every day, and I got that checked off my list early this morning as we established the historic foundations for our journey.

For instance, I did not realize that Corinth--not Athens--was set up as the administrative center of Greece by the Romans after they conquered the country. And, the "capital" of this puppet state quickly became known for vice.

I guess it would kinda be like someone invading/conquering the United States and establishing the occupation government in Las Vegas or New Orleans or Hollywood . . .

With that kind of an historical backdrop in place, we should be in for some colorful material over the next few weeks . . .

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home